Central Elementary Embraces IB Curriculum

Boy holding the worldThe Fluvanna Education Foundation awarded a $220 – Professional Development Grant in 2006 to the Teachers Book Group at Central Elementary:

“Ms. Christa Clore, IB coordinator at Central Elementary, used this award to purchase 10 books for the study of alternative and creative approaches to curriculum presentation. The teachers involved in the study are preparing for the International Baccalaureate program. Once the initial ten teachers have completed their study they will then offer the books to an additional group of teachers to form a new study group.”

Hmm, the International Baccalaureate programnow what is that all about? I asked myself. So I did a little digging.

Starting with their Mission and Strategy

Evidently they “promote intercultural understanding and respect, not as an alternative to a sense of cultural and national identity, but as an essential part of life in the 21st century.

Here’s an excerpt from their mission statement:

The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people…who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.” [Read full statement]

Sounds nice…world peace and harmony. Honestly, the phrases “develop inquiring…young people” made me a bit uneasy, and the idea of “other people, with their differences can also be right” made me ask a few questions. What exactly are we “developing” here and are we talking about being morally “right”? So I kept digging.

Since Central is our county’s Elementary School I started with the Primary Years Programme Curriculum Framework. And then found my way to the document, “A Basis For Practice“. Here is the opening sentences of the summary found on page 14 of the 16 page document:

“The PYP focuses on the heart as well as the mind and addresses social, physical, emotional and cultural needs as well as academic ones. The traditional academic subjects are valued. In addition, there is an emphasis on the balance between the acquisition of essential knowledge and skills and the search for meaning and understanding.” [emphasis mine]

I don’t know about you, but this seems a bit scary to me. And this curriculum is being taught right now at Central Elementary School in Fluvanna County.

Read more about Central Elementary officially becoming a “Candidate School” for this program on May 16, 2007, and how they’re working towards being an “Authorized IB School”. Please let me know what you think below. I can tell you, this is not the last you’ll hear about this curriculum here.

FOR FURTHER RESEARCH:
Rob Schilling based out of Charlottesville, VA will be devoting his April 3rd radio program, “The Schilling Show” to the topic: 1070 AM from 1pm to 2pm. Edwatch.org has more information as well on the IB company.

NOTE: Special Thanks to Donna Douma for bringing this to my attention!

60 thoughts on “Central Elementary Embraces IB Curriculum

1. Christa Clore

I thought since my name was included in this conversation that it was only fitting for me to join in. The International Baccalaureate PYP is just one way that schools can meet the changing needs of our student population. It is NOT watered down academics…it is quite the opposite. I am no longer employed by Fluvanna County Public Schools so I am speaking of my own conviction. This program embeds higher order thinking skills into daily instruction and encourages more student engagement by giving children more choices and more time to investigate their own questions. Before making random comments, please take the time to research your topics. I’m sure you would hate to publish false information since you seem to be so concerned about truth.

2. Carrie Wigal Post author

Hi Christa,

Thanks for stopping by.

My concern as I read more about it was over the amount of involvement the educational system has in the rearing of our children using this curriculum. I believe our students should be taught reading, writing and arithmetic, but when it comes to more philosophical and cultural instruction, I get very uneasy.

The academic instruction is pretty straightforward, there’s no moral slant involved…2 + 2 = 4; “she” is a pronoun; & “and” is spelled a-n-d. All these are true no matter what your religious beliefs or moral standards are.

But in my house we teach that a marriage is between a man and a woman, and children come as a result of marriage. However, our own society teaches it’s OK for men to “marry” men and women to have children outside of wedlock. Obviously this conflicts with what I’m teaching my children. So if the IB curriculum is going to address the cultural needs of my children, what does that mean exactly?

Are they going to reinforce the culture I want for my children where marriage is supposed to be between one man and one woman for life or will they reinforce the culture of Sodom & Gomorrah, which is trying desperately to infiltrate America?

Then the idea of “embedding higher order thinking skills” or encouraging “engagement by giving children more choices and more time to investigate their own questions” as you suggest scares me as well.

I don’t want my young, impressionable children to be asking questions about cultural issues such as why it’s not OK for men to “marry” men and having them answered by someone who feels it’s perfectly normal for same-sex marriages to take place.

The purpose of the public school system should be to educate our children in academics, not to teach them “cultural” values or get them to question/ponder/explore areas they don’t need to be at this time in their young lives. At least that’s how I feel about it.

Perhaps “NH” was referring to the fact that since IB addresses areas outside of traditional academia in addition to academics, the “academics” are being watered down. The public school system has our children for so many hours in a day, and in that time frame they should be instructed in academics. Any time spent on something other than academics causes a dilution of the academic instruction.

You indicated that there are changing needs of our student population. What specifically are you referring to? Maybe I’m way off the mark with my concerns. Please, expand on your perspective of this curriculum. I have only been exposed to what I’ve read in the sources I referenced above. I’ve heard sketchy discussion on expenses of the program, but that’s about it.

I truly would like to hear more on the subject from varied sources so I can have a more well-rounded perspective.

3. Christa Clore

The IB program (or any other curriculum and character education program) does not interfere with the values you teach your children at home. Your family’s views on marriage for example would never be debated at school. Your children do need to understand, however, that there are some families that do have two fathers, two mothers, or just one parent. (And God loves those families and children too.)

I cannot and will not debate you on parenting issues. I will say, however, that it is unfortunate that you do not feel the need to raise your children to make their own choices and ask questions. Guess what…if they don’t feel comfortable asking you, they’ll find someone else to ask. Curiosity is the key to learning and builds excitement for acquiring and applying knowledge.

Asking questions is essential for intellectual and emotional development. Don’t you want your children to explore topics that they are interested in? That’s what you’re doing with this blog site, isn’t it? You find things that peak your curiosity, you research it, then ask questions to get additional feedback. That’s all the IB units aspire to do…lead the children to find their own answers.

4. NH

I stand by everything I said and if people are too shallow to see it they will get the government they deserve.

I can assure you not only have I done my homework on Goals 2000 and IB and many other educational issues, I lived in the system for over 50 years.

I still maintain that public education (and now by their own admission) is being used to infuse a political agenda more than anything else.

When asked what the difference was between AP and IB, the consultant proudly stated that IB is a philosophy, while AP a set of courses.

It’s about time the public schools start investing in teaching skills and buying textbooks and not paying these quack consultants big $$ to convince them they need to spread a ‘philosophy’.

I can tell you that all the kids will be learning about is global warming, global poverty and as one teacher put it quoted in one article “the US uses too many resources and that is not going to be allowed anymore” which points to the anti-American sentiment of this UN created nonsense.

Why should any school districts have to buy a philosophy at great cost that is run by communists out of Geneva?

5. NH

I think the ‘changing needs’ the poster was referring to is just but one of the phrases used as a scare tactic to make parents of smart competitive children feel they need to take this program or not “succeed in the global marketplace” another phrase that means nothing and is part of the snake oil.

It’s a huge scam because competitiveness and capitalism is as you might have guessed shunned when the attitudes come out.

I have spent 50 years in the public school system as a student and teacher and I stand by everything I have said. I have been subject to the brainwashing that is called ‘teacher retraining’.

It’s all about the IBO’s mission which you can read on their own website. The mission is that of the UN and all it’s documents which is the far far leftist globalist view. It’s not just about learning about other countries, it’s learning that America is the reason every other country is poor..

6. NH

Quote: “Asking questions is essential for intellectual and emotional development. Don’t you want your children to explore topics that they are interested in?”

Of course we do. No one said kids won’t be able to ask questions about things they are interested in.

“That’s what you’re doing with this blog site, isn’t it? You find things that peak your curiosity, you research it, then ask questions to get additional feedback. That’s all the IB units aspire to do…lead the children to find their own answers.”

Ah but here is where you’re wrong. Woven into the curriculum is a POLITICAL WORLD VIEW, WHICH IS THE MISSION OF THE IBO/UN/UNESCO.

AND MANY OF US DO NOT LIKE THE MISSION OF THE UN because they aim to become a world government and this is just one more way to try to convince the kids to be subjects of that government. Goals 2000 did the same thing.

When a teacher is asked to sign a statement saying he or she will PROMOTE THE MISSION OF WORLD GOVERNMENT, that’s proof.

This has happened in a school system I know to people i know.

They refused to sign because they still believe in the constitution and bill of rights not the earth charter which is the UN’s religion. I am sure the owner of this blog prefers her own religion to that of the UN’s which is secular humanism. Even those of us not particularly regliious find secular humanism OFFENSIVE and out of place in schools. But that is what is being taught.

7. Concerned Mom

I am appalled to read the views written here by parents and the teacher’s comments above, finding the issue of diversity and multiculturalism instilled into a school philosophy as offensive. Did you not experience this upbringing as a child and in the real world as an adult? Do you really want your children sheltered from real world education to know the truth about our society and how others live for them to explore, as most children learn by sensorial learning and exploration and absorption of their inquiry. How could you want to keep this from your kids? I find Fluvanna to be a very “white” community with minimal diversity with cultures. As an individual who grew up in a large metropolitan city, I find it shocking that you could find this type of education as immoral or offensive to your child(ren). If your child lived anywhere else in the U.S., this diversity and multiculturalism is what they would experience. Once they leave Fluvanna and the Piedmont Region of VA, they will find a very different way of life and wonder why they never had these opportunities growing up. Diversity is the flavor of life. As we are all different, we all share many commonalities. It is this diversity of our commonalities that unite us. I would hope that your values would allow your child these opportunities and not shortchanging them of life’s beauty amongst the people of the world. It is through awareness and understanding that we grow and develop, one person, one citizen, one child at a time. If we don’t learn as children, when will we ever learn? We can always learn the preamble to the Constitution and learn the Bill of Rights. No one is denying your children these opportunities. Having this program will not shortchange your children to memorize and learn to understand American history and our roots. It will only serve to broaden their perspectives and make them better citizens and caring citizens for their brothers and sisters around the globe. We are all one. If we do not take care of this earth and care about global peace through understanding of others, we will never learn and we will continue to destroy our earth and our children’s futures. Thinking globally through diversity is unity. Think about it.

8. NH

I think you do not need to be appalled since I never said that diversity was offensive. I am myself a minority.

These programs go far beyond teaching about diversity and that is just my point. Anyone can look around their classroom and see diversity.

It is statements such as “We are all one. If we do not take care of this earth and care about global peace through understanding of others, we will never learn and we will continue to destroy our earth and our children’s futures” I see that the brainwashing has been well instilled.

There is so much harm being done in the name of global peace, and saving the earth. It’s all about UN promoting and financing themselves as a world government. I do not believe in bigger government and certainly not a world government which does not abide by our Bill of Rights. The UN wants to count, control and tax everything on the planet and wants you to only be accountable to the ‘state’. Religion will be outlawed and children will no longer be the responsibility of parents. Education is being use TO THIS END. I am sure the blog owner understands what I am talking about.

I have no worried that children can’t be taught geography, history and languages just as I was from grade 5. I speak 3 languages. But we did not need the UN to come to control our schools to accomplish it!!!!!!!!

I can be a good neighbor to the people who live aside of me without telling their kids what to do or infiltrating their home or melding my finances. Their family is their own unit of government and mine is mine. Good fences make good neighbors, for ‘peace’.

You said:

“Thinking globally through diversity is unity. Think about it.”

To that I say “Ein reich, ein volk, ein fuhrer”. Who said that?

THINK ABOUT WHAT *YOU* ARE SAYING.

When people embrace religion they believe in one god (usually) but to say there will only be one government and one country and one thing to have allegiance to, I say, VERY DANGEROUS.

Why is it that teachers like me were singled out for reprimand? No original thoughts were allowed! Only what the ‘state’ wants you to think/do and be.
    As the blog owner said, gov’t is too far into our family lives.

And certainly we do not want one central authority from which there is no escape. We are talking about apples and oranges here…. if you’ve never been in a school as student or teacher when this was going on you would not understand. The school has no right to make little peace protesters out of my children.

9. One More Mom

Wow, this is quite an opinionated forum. How does the UN become the control of religion and taxes? Please elaborate!

10. Carrie Wigal Post author

Welcome to the discussion, Concerned Mom and One More Mom.

I’ll start by saying I don’t know much more about the IB curriculum than what’s been written in my initial post. However, I’m inclined to agree with a lot of what NH is saying.

To address the diversity issue, I grew up in NJ, lived part of my adult life in North Carolina and Oklahoma prior to moving here and have seen a lot more diversity in culture than many life-long Fluvanna County residents have. I’ve been exposed to (and have become good friends with) Christians, Catholics, Jews, Italians, Filipinos, African-Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Norwegians, Mexicans, Native Americans and probably more than that. Unfortunately you don’t see that type of a melting pot nestled here in this small rural community (outside of Lake Monticello), but you can’t fault the residents for that. People of these ethnicities came to America because of what America has to offer. While I learned about many of their cultural origins from them, it was from the perspective of “America is great” not “America should be tolerant of my ancestry”.

I’m mostly Scandinavian, a little Welsh and German. My husband is a mix of Native American and mostly European descent. I say all this not to brag about my origins, but rather to point out America is a “melting pot” of cultures and ethnicities. There is enough diversity in culture within our own country to expose our children to, we don’t need to introduce an international cultural curriculum into our American public school system.

Certainly I don’t have a problem with introducing my children to people/cultures from other countries but I, as a parent want control over how and what specifically is being taught about these other cultures. My father nearly flipped out when he saw what my oldest son was learning at Central Elementary a few years ago…something concerning the Mayan massacre, I believe. And my husband was appalled that our son was being forced to learn about the Islamic religion in school.

You can learn about other cultures/religions in the public school but it’s forbidden to recognize Christianity at Christmas time? Isn’t Christmas considered a National Holiday? Yet our beloved Superintendent refuses to recognize it and chooses to refer to the break just before Christmas through New Years as a “winter recess”. He made a pitch at a board of supervisors meeting to remember some food drive/pantry during the most benevolent time of year but he won’t recognize it as Christmas. Unbelievable!

Okay, I digress.

While we live in the world at large, our homeland is America. Our public educational system is run by our nation’s government and should not be turned over to some global power.

I’m proud to be an American. Our nation is unique to any other…it is founded on a faith in God and a fervor for freedom. Our public school system should teach American Patriotism and how our country was founded and why it’s the best nation on earth, not cow-tow to other countries’ ways of doing things, and submitting to the rest of the world’s idea of who and what America is and should be.

BTW, I have traveled abroad and done business internationally. I have befriended folks in Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom and Japan, but that doesn’t mean I want to live in those places or pay homage to those countries. I respect the people there as human beings, but my loyalty lies with my own country.

We may be “one” as a human race, but we are not one as a civilization.

Personally, I’m choosing to home school my younger children because I want more control over what’s being taught to them. However, as an American citizen I will fight to protect the rights of American families who must rely on the public school system to educate their children.

11. NH

Most of my friends homeschool because of the fact that schools have become a place to create political activists of the children. This activism has a pro-world government bent.

The US has signed some treaties with the UN, and then the UN has other resolutions, treaties and agreements that we have NOT signed yet some of our presidents (Clinton) wanted to comply with anyway, thus further empowering the world government. What usually happens is, the UN gets a treaty signed such as Education for All, then the US makes a law like Goals 2000 and thus, the UN’s Millennium Development Goals are enforced. Churches that belong to the World Council of Churches are under the thumb of the UN, and so are many NGOs like the World Affairs Council’s of the states, a mini-CFR. Lately the Girl Scouts have even come under this influence. In NH, a group formed, which later we found was funded by the World Council of Churches, to try to come into our town meetings to convince people to ask for a state income tax! The UN wants to tax and control everything.

The other day I saw an ad pushing for the UN’s UDHR on our local cable access TV! I was appalled and upset. The UDHR does not guarantee our rights as the Bill of Rights does, yet they are pushing for kids to adopt it at the local level.

The UN has decided it is the government of all peoples, and yet, millions of us will never accept that. I found this ad exteremely offensive.

As Carrie says, it has nothing to do with not tolerating other cultures it’s whether I want to recognize the UN as my government. I DO NOT.

USPEIN@yahoogroups.com is where this is being discussed and you can find many links to information about IB and the UN in general.

12. Doug Johnson

So the cancer is everywhere except little Fluvanna County. Or was it the other way around?

When I was in school we prayed the Lord’s Prayer and read a Psalm as part of our morning exercise. I never heard any complaint from the Jewish kids. Perhaps because the Psalms is part of the Jewish Bible and the Lord’s Prayer does not contradict any Jewish teaching.

So who started the concept that we were offending people with exercising our First Amendment right to “exercise our religion”? How did offending someone nullify the First Amendment?

So what is the story now? Is public education the extension of the parents or an extension of the state? Is parental involvement just a ruse to get parents to turn over responsibility to the state. In some states, the state thinks it has a right to determine whether parents are “qualified” to teach there own children.

Was it not that country we fought a World War with, who had the children report what the parents did? Do they still teach that in public school?

13. Carrie Wigal Post author

I know I mentioned my experience with diversity in the various places I’ve lived and my ethnic background, but I wanted to address something specific Concerned Mom said:

“I find Fluvanna to be a very “white” community with minimal diversity with cultures.”

My first thought was have you been to Fork Union lately? Most would not consider that a “white” community.

Then when speaking with my husband he reminded me of our own circle of friends at Fluvanna Baptist Church. The pastor there was raised in Uruguay (spent his entire childhood there) and speaks fluent Spanish. This small congregation (100 or so members) consists of a couple who is presently in Ethiopia picking up three children whom they are adopting and bringing back to the US, a teenager whose grandmother immigrated from Japan, a man whose married to a woman from the Ukraine, a Marine who has traveled the world and is fluent in Arabic and 5 other Middle Eastern languages, a woman who immigrated here from Mexico. Those are just some folks that I know personally off the top of my head.

The point is that Fluvanna County has plenty of diversity; to say anything to the contrary is not a fair assessment.

14. NH

Even if it were predominantly ‘white’ so what? Is that your fault? Nothing is stopping people from moving there, is there?

I don’t get it when people say things like that as if it were a bad mark on the people.

I was born and grew up where I was born and had little control over it until I could move after college when I worked.

The area was what it was.

15. C. Lee

Nice blog – I think that like any good journalist (whether you mean to be or not) you have taken information out of context and effectively “stirred the pot” to produce a rousing exchange of ideas. Too bad that personal attacks ruin what might be a chance to exchange opposing viewpoints – oops: I forgot NH won’t tolerate an opposing viewpoint. (Standing by now for ad hominem attacks – the refuge of either a poor debator or a weak argument). When you quote Hitler, are you making a point, or just trying to enrage an audience? There are so many inflammatory – not to mention flat out wrong – statements I couldn’t begin to address them all, but:

The US educational standards have plummeted in the last 50 years…just about the same length of time NH has been contributing to the system…(by sheer co-incidence.) If you compare the curve of the money spent in public schools, with the achievement scores over the last fifty years, you will find an upsetting parallel. The more money spent, the lower the achievement scores (of course, any statistician will tell you that no cause and effect relationship can be proven by this). Could it POSSIBLY be that the context of the statement “US uses too many resources” is referring to this? Would that be wrong? Even if it were, would the viewpoint be SO wrong that it does not even merit acknowledgment as a potential other valid viewpoint? And if that is not the context in which the statement was made… does the US use too many resources? Of course it does.

Singapore has the highest Math standards in the world by many peoples’ reckoning. Is Central just nuts to want to look into mimicing that curriculum – or at least considering some elements of it? Is there some “hidden” agenda in the arithmetic that will infect us?

I spent about an hour going over the IBO website and finally just did a search for United Nations. I did come up with a lot of hits…almost all related to the name “United Nations School” in New York. It really is disingenuos to try and hijack the topic of the blog with a rant against the UN that has a tenuous at best connection to the IBO curriculum. I am no fan of the UN either, by the way, but I think that my intelligent free-thinking children can figure it out on their own.

“The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people…who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.” Nothing written on this site makes me find anything insidious with this mission statement. There isn’t a communist behind every preposition – a terrorist lurking around every gerundive.

And I don’t like the whole “anti-Xmas” sentiment either, but I in no way see how learning about Islam (or Taoism or Wican for that matter) can possibly be a bad thing. Is your faith that weak that you would be threatened by another’s beliefs? I guess if you grow up in a place, move away for four sheltered college years, then plant yourself in one county for the rest of your life, you don’t need to learn much about the world…Okay, I’ll stop now since my sarcasm is beginning to drip out…

16. Carrie Wigal Post author

Welcome to the discussion, C. Lee.

You indicated that I “…have taken information out of context and effectively “stirred the pot” to produce a rousing exchange of ideas.”

I’m not sure what you’re referring to. In my post (prior to all these comments) I quoted various excerpts from the IBO website and pointed out a few phrases that personally made me uneasy.

If all that was being embraced from a worldview in the IB curriculum was academic teaching such as math, then I would agree that this discussion has gone way off track. However, that is not the case. The mission statement clearly indicates:

“It focuses on the total growth of the developing child, touching hearts as well as minds and encompassing social, physical, emotional and cultural needs in addition to academic development.”

Touching hearts how? Meeting social needs how? Meeting emotional needs how? Meeting cultural needs how? And what cultural needs do these developing 3, 4, 5, 6 (and up through 12) year olds have that will be met by this international pool of knowledge?

Here’s an example of my concern, in America we believe that “we are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights.” This is not a religious statement, but rather a political statement taken from our Declaration of Independence. This Creator is not embraced by a segment of our own population, let alone the rest of the world. So who is going to have the final say in whether a Creator is recognized or not?

Our public education system has already gone down a very humanistic path, opening it up now to a worldview teacher (as found in the IB curriculum) will ultimately destroy what the founders of this nation set up for us…one nation under God.

Keep reading the IBO website and see words like “developing moral character” and ask yourself, whose morals are we talking about? If there is no God, no Creator, then what is morality based upon?

It is a very scary thing to put our children’s education in the hands of the worldview teacher, when the worldview doesn’t accept our God.

17. NH

I’m also not sure what is taken out of context here C Lee or where there has been a personal attack. I have not made any ad hominems and your suggestion that all should stand by for one is equal to having made one yourself, C Lee.

As for my not tolerating an opposing viewpoint, the whole point of my post is just that — when I taught, an opposing viewpoint was NOT tolerated by the system.

When I quoted Hitler, I was comparing the statements of the people who keep citing that we need ‘one world’, just a Hitler did. If you are outraged at that as I am, so be it.

Are you saying this did not ever happen? You’re not one of those deniers are you? It is a well-known fact that the UN wants a world government — there are even ads playing on my local cable station that urge children to learn the UDHR. What about the Bill of Rights? Is that not what our government uses as a guideline? Since when is the limited UDHR our guide? (Check #29:3)

You said, and I agree that the US educational standards have plummeted in the last 50 years…just about the same length of time I have been contributing to the system…(by sheer co-incidence.) Is this not an ad hominem attack that you are coyly suggesting I myself might make?

Well fact is, I agree and it’s not by coincidence. If I was told to lower my standards and I protested, it was not tolerated. So as much as I tried to right the wrongs, one person could not do much about it except suffer.

And this is also true, if you compare the curve of the money spent in public schools, with the achievement scores over the last fifty years, you will find an upsetting parallel. The more money spent, the lower the achievement scores (of course, any statistician will tell you that no cause and effect relationship can be proven by this). Which is why we need to stop pouring money into the system and start teaching again.

You asked, could it POSSIBLY be that the context of the statement “US uses too many resources” is referring to this? No, this is in reference to our country as a whole, using NATURAL resources, in other words, the US consumerism that comes with our successful capitalism. The world view of the UN is redistribution of the wealth, ‘allocate not accumulate’ and is very anti-capitalistic.

So no, if it had to do with money spent on education it would not be wrong — I’m all for pulling the gov’t out of education altogether. It did NOT mean that at all. IF anything, the view of these folks is spend spend spend.

And if you think the US uses too many natural resources, who is to say what is ‘too many’?

Singapore math is the best textbook and the US has rejected it. It is a-political, unlike the UN crafted Goals 2000, IB and other programs we must suffer..

You said, “I can’t believe that I have to type this for a teacher, but critical thinking skills are essential. I don’t want my children brainwashed by the UN OR by NH’s world view either” which is another ad hominem on me. My world view on politics never once entered the arena while i was teaching, which is not the case today for those in control. I taught SKILLS period, and if our form of government became part of the conversation, that. I never asked the kids to go out and protest the war, question their parents religion, or foisted some bogus unproven theory on them like global warming.

The purpose of school today is no longer education but to prepare students to function in a controlled humanistic society with ONE authority. It is this that I and others object to. You don’t have to be religious to recognize and be opposed to this.

Telling us that the UN that has a tenuous at best connection to the IBO curriculum is a joke. IB was created by UNESCO and its mission statement embraces every UN aim and goal, treaty and resolution, of which there are many. Even in 1994, Goals 2000 did the same. I know, I was there subjected to it.

When children are only given one view, and not taught there is the better, American view of our governmental law, they will NOT figure it out on their own. The Discovery Method is also proven to be a sham…by the way. Constructivism goes along with relativism.

You stated:

The IB materials suggest that one person’s terrorist is another person’s freedom fighter…and that there is no right or wrong when determining this.

To address your last AH attack, I can tell you this has nothing to do with religion since I do not practice any. But I know that the world view being taught is to prepare students for a world in which there would be no religion except allegiance to the state. This is just wrong.

I think the amazing thing is that people are still trying to deny the UN is involved in our public education system when they control most everything that goes on in it, from the policy for special children to the way you can line up kids when taking them down the hall for something. The UN’s EFA is the driving force behind it all. If you haven’t read Charlotte Iserbyt’s free book that you can download, you should. http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com

After that if you can’t grasp the concept of what the state of things is, then I guess the brainwashing has been successful.

George Orwell would be rolling in his grave if he could know what we are experiencing now.

18. NH

Oh by the way, HOTS or “Higher Order Thinking Skills” is a red herring. HOTS cannot be accomplished when students do not even have a command of the basic facts. Thus the constructivism method comes into play. They are urged to create their own reality, which in fact is just what these school reformers intend to do to replace the truth.

19. Ty

I take absolute exception to those who would encourage children to ask their own questions and find their own answers. That is absurd. Parents are the number one teachers of their children, whose influence is by far the strongest. This is perhaps to the dismay of those who wish to indoctrinate impressionable children into their pantheistic one world view. The all powerful influence of parents is hard wired into the very essence of human beings. I will train my children up in the way to go, so they will not depart from the wisdom of their fathers. Thank you very much. My children cannot even decide to stay out of the cookie jar, yet there are those who want them to make much more weighty decisions for themselves. That is the most unwise thing I have ever heard. I will instead lead my children by example and empower them with the knowledge to make decisions when the time comes. I will protect them from harmful influence until they are truly ready to make life decisions.

Furthermore, the questions are not all asked in this curriculum. The answers are already well scripted for maximum affect. The agenda is deliberate and the effective results are being proven by the direction of our society. Christian principles, which are the foundation of this country, have been rejected from schools to be replaced by the one world view and a state sponsored religion that teaches god loves all and all roads lead to him.

This is completely unbiblical. God does love us and does not want any to perish. He is also holy and unable to tolerate sin. If we are not made right with Him, we must suffer the consequences of our own sinful nature. All roads do not lead to God, only one does. Anything besides that one road is not the way to the Creator, but to an eternal lake of fire. Saying all roads lead to a god is quite simply a lie. Additionally, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. There is no such fear for those who would say all roads will get you to where you need to go. That road will never lead to wisdom, only destruction.

In the ultimate hypocrisy, Christianity has been banned from schools and a state sponsored religion is being substituted. So much for the separation of church and state. Unfortunately, the only accomplishment is the separation of the Christian values of our forefathers from our society. Darwinism and climate change are the new state sponsored religion. Neither is even slightly based in scientific truth. Anyone who challenges these ideas is simply crushed. So much for the well touted open debate of ideas. In the name of environmental activism, the worship of creation without a creator is encouraged. Again, I take absolute objection. Creation is not God. All roads do not lead to God. The wide road leads to destruction. Man has been given dominion over creation. To worship creation is the definition of a pagan culture.

Perhaps the curriculum should be based on the study of true American history. A history where government is the problem and not the solution. A government that is of, by and for the people. A government that answers to the people, not a people that answers to a government. The very government that wishes to forcefully subject its youngest citizens to its idea of education.

I personally do not feel the government is capable of determining what is best for my children. It has no business determining whether or not I am capable of teaching my own children. I, as a patriotic American, state that my government is not doing a good enough job of educating my children. It is not even the government’s job and the job being done rates an F. I want the government to be held accountable to me and others like me. My taxes fund the schools. I want vouchers and the freedom to determine where to use them in a privately owned school system. I oppose the idea of a “nanny state”. I want to exercise and maintain the God given right to hold sovereignty over all decisions concerning my children. I can and will teach them much better than government can even come close to achieving. As long as America stands, this will be my self determined choice.

20. NH

Well said Ty! Even if one is not religious, or I should say, especially if one is not, one should take exception to the state creating allegiances in your child that are not his or her true adult choice and/or are not guided by the values with which they were brought up with.

The trouble is, the government does not believe your children belong to you and instead feels that you are incompetent because of your religious or other beliefs (such as gun ownership). I was appalled that I even saw that question that on my doctor’s questionnaire! I do not have to answer that.

Socialists believe the family is poison and a thing of the past. They believe only ‘experts’ know what is best for your child. But smarter people know that the family is the smallest unit of government and it is the parents who have the right to school and bring up their children as they wish.

In NH, children can use abortion for birth control at any age, and their parents do not have to be told.
    But yet, in school, we could not give them handcreme for chapped fingers without a permission slip.

21. Elizabeth

“I can’t believe that I have to type this for a teacher, but critical thinking skills are essential. I don’t want my children brainwashed by the UN OR by NH’s world view either. I have enough confidence in the rightness of the American perspective that I know that an educated CRITICAL THINKER will choose the most logical path. And bad news for you – the public school system was created strictly for a political purpose with the belief that only an educated citizenry could effectively operate in a democracy (I know we are a Republic…)”

Yet there is one detail lacking. It takes one to also be educated in morality to effectively run this Republic. That education should come from the parents and be supported by the school system. It is rampant in public education that morality is relative. Could it be that American education has failed due to fads and trends that educational systems are compelled to follow as opposed to sticking to what is tried and true? In the seventies, we were exploring our emotions, in the eighties our sexuality, in the ninteties our political activism- and now we wonder why American education has slipped?

If the school system truly wanted students to become critical thinkers, why not adopt the precepts of a classical education (the trivium) instead of this IB garbage?

22. NH

Thank you Elizabeth. I do NOT and have NEVER ‘brainwashed’ my students with a world view.

I teach skills and facts. I make them aware that our form of government, the Bill of Rights, is NOT to be overrided by the UDHR.

That is not propaganda, but the truth.
    Unfortunately today, they are teaching the kids that there ARE NO ABSOLUTES, which is a very dangerous thing in my opinion.

Moral relativism and constructivism has no place in education. Basic morality should be taught by example.

IB teaches secularism, constrcutivism, and that there ‘is no right or wrong’.

23. Elizabeth

NH, I just wanted to point out that the quote in the first part of my post was actually stated by C. Lee. The bottom was my rebuttal. It merely pointed out that logic and education aren’t the only factors that influence how well the future generations will govern this Republic; it’s also morality that is steeped in absolute truths. However, whatever “logical path” is chosen will reflect the culture (or demise of) at that particular time. I don’t think some people quite understand that.

24. NH

OH yes I knew you were quoting someone else.

People like to bandy about phrases that are catchy such as; critical thinking, compete in the global marketplace, constructivism, yet, what does it all mean?

There is no substitute for direct instruction, and as moral people everywhere know, there ARE absolutes.

(I was brought up by a Marxist who taught me the opposite all my life, but never lived that way, hence I was not affected)

25. C. Lee

Wow – Go away for a few days and watch what happens. This is like a car crash! I’ll repeat my point on the chance that someone without an axe to grind (yea, if you are offended, I mean you) actually reads it and is capable of NOT making incorrect assumptions…
    If you think that you are such a bad parent that your words and examples will fail as the primary moral driver for your children, then yes, you should be VERY afraid that they might hear something in school that will influence them in a negative way. If you have those fears then home school them, keep them close by for college (better yet restrict their choices – you have not given them the moral fiber to make good ones anyway), make sure they grow up, live and die within a thirty minute drive of you and all will be well. They won’t ever have to think at all – they can just listen to whomever is the pushiest, or whoever types in CAPS.
    What are you guys so afraid of? That someone will disagree with you? Oh my God we can’t have that! We need one world view for religion – preferably yours, right?
    I actually respect home schoolers because I think it is difficult to do and schools usually teach down to the lowest common denominator. But unless you want to live in an Amish community, or maybe go hang with the Hasidic Jews somewhere, you (and they) are going to find that we are not a monolithic society. And neither were the founding fathers.
    And what “classic” education are you talking about? The three R’s? I don’t think most people – perhaps I should qualify that as most people who have a grasp on the history of education- would call the three R’s a classic education.
    Why do you think that diversity is a bad word? If the study of other cultures threatens you so much, I have to wonder why.
    Critical thinking is not a phrase that I “bandy about”. In fact your arguments are sophomoric – the other phrases that you include with mine were never written by me, but I think it is cute that you subscribe them to me.
    I actually agree with Elizabeth that no good thing can spring from any mix that excludes morality. I never mentioned morality except to point out that it should come from the family which is exactly your point (watch out NH – you might find yourself agreeing with me!) And I do agree that there are absolutes and they are logical truths – unless you disagree with Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle – all non-Christians, by the way…
    Okay, let the dogs out again!

26. NH

I think the above post is pretty funny because you have made some of my points, or at least underscored them for me.

If children are taught that communism is as good as capitalism, that they should “allocate not accumulate”, etc, then they are being taught a political view. This is as bad as teaching someone religion!

And as for what you say about religion, I agree. That is exactly my point — there IS one religion being taught and you can bet it is not yours or mine. There is to be no more freedom of diverse religions. They are NOT teaching diversity, but the importance of one-ness as it applies to their world view of what government and religion ought to be (or not to be).

When you said, “Oh my God we can’t have that! We need one world view for religion – preferably yours, right?” I agree. WE can’t have one world view and that is just what is being taught.

Not that it is good for you to go home and be for example a protestant, another person a Catholic, and another person a Jew, and yet another person agnostic such as I am. (I am not religious but I think it’s dangerous to prevent others from exercising their right to be and I will defend that right)

Unless you have been a student recently, or a teacher for 35 years like I have, I don’t really think you fully understand what we are talking about here. We are talking about true diversity which is not what is being taught in the schools. I know, I was not allowed to have an original thought. I was followed and persecuted for it. THEIR WAY is the ONLY WAY. Oh sure they talk about diversity, but they don’t pass the smell test.

Also, I did not ‘ascribe’ (not subscribe) any words to you, I am talking in general about those who are arguing for programs like IB when they have absolutely no clue what they are really all about. They use empty phrases that they themselves cannot even define. You know, sort of like the word “change”?

You don’t learn to “compete in the global market place” by being taught that competition is bad! Make sense?

27. Elizabeth

C.Lee, a classical education is divided into three stages, known as the “trivium” (which was in parenthesis in my first post). The three stages are: grammar, dialectic, and rhetoric. I find it funny that you mention that Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle considering they are used to some degree in a classical education in conjunction with Christian authors as well. The beauty of this is children are exposed to a world-view with the authors you mentioned. I value more of what these intelligent Greek authors have to say as opposed to the UN, MTV, or Salinger. However, the foundation of a classical education is the memorization of facts. If one is to build critical thinking skills, one must have facts to refer back to. This stage(grammar) is what should be taking place during the elementary grades. If this is your take on the three “Rs”, then I do not shy away frrom the fact by saying that this is what the children should focus on during the early years. If teachers choose to use sensory methods to accomodate different learning styles to help with those facts, then great! My point? There are children in our school system that have difficulty with those three “Rs”. The public education system has been bombarded with a barage of trends and fads that have failed the students. Instead of academia, we now have psycho-babble and politics (after all, we must not hurt their self-esteem…..). Whether one wants to admit it or not, this falls under humanism. It is secular in nature, and like it or not, it is a religion. Here’s the other thing that bothers me: Do the teachers who teach IB have to sign something from Geneva stating that they will explicitly follow their curriculum? If you want children to develop a sense of culture and community, why not start at home, in their own neighborhoods, or in their churches? Why not start learning to be good neighbors to the person that sits next to them, regardless of race, class, or gender? Why does one have to use a curriculum from the UN to teach our children how to be “global citizens”? To me, this a subtle attack on American values and sovereignty. The bad thing is that the attack appears to be coming from within. The public education system, sadly, appears to reflect the current views and trends in our society.

28. NH

Elizabeth: Bravo! Bravissimo!

Yes they do sign something that states they will uphold the mission of IB. What is that mission? Read here for yourself if you don’t think it’s a religion.

As for me, in 1994 I was asked to sign this statement on my teachers contract which I found along the bottom:

“I will pledge to support the mission of world government”.

I refused….!

29. Concerned Mother

“What is required goes beyond mere tolerance or sympathy or sensitivity – emotions which can often be willed into existence by a generous soul. True cultural sensitivity is something far more rigorous, and even more intellectual than that. It implies a readiness to study and to learn across cultural barriers, an ability to see others as they see themselves. This is a challenging task, but if we do that, then we will discover that the universal and the particular can indeed be reconciled.” It is this bridging of the gap, as is notated in the speech, that helps to redefine the meaning of “well-educated”. Teaching world cultures will help to overcome intercultural inequities, thereby, overcoming or reducing global conflict. Educating for leadership must imply something more than the mere developmennt of rote skills. Being proficient at rote skills is not the same thing as being educated. “And training that develops skills, important as they may be, is a different thing from schooling in the art and the science of thinking.The temptation to inculcate rather than to educate is understandably strong….” I would think that we would all agree that education is the science of thinking, that is, education has developed out of a science that is evidence based through research for best practices in education.

It is stated through the IB, “But there is also a second great challenge which is intensifying in our world. In some ways it is the exact opposite of the globalizing impulse. I refer to a growing tendency toward fragmentation and confrontation among peoples. In a time of mounting insecurity, cultural pride can turn, too often, into an endeavour to normatise one’s culture. The quest for identity can then become an exclusionary process – so that we define ourselves less by what we are FOR and more by whom we are AGAINST. When this happens, diversity turns quickly from a source of beauty to a cause of discord.” To normalize is to certainly, normalize what we make of our students, accepting mediocrisy at best in the current education systems, and most certainly, teaching students to become educated citizens at the cost of developing and evolving into a well rounded global citizen. Most of our history was based on division and seperation. We have now evolved into what was once, internationalization, that is now known as globalization. It is a matter of global citizenship that will overcome seperatism and division as we are all “God’s” children. When one person suffers, all of society suffers the turmoil and heartache of the results of this seperatism and division amongst world cultures, and the lack thereof of its understanding.

These thoughts were shared at “The Peterson Lecture” for the 40th anniversary of the IB curriculum. You can call me brainwashed. I came from a culture and a minority of people of whom there are a very small populous of us left. My great-grandparents endured a holocaust that little is known about as it is indeed, our American government that at this time, will not officially acknowledge for political reasons. My grandparents were survivors of this holocaust as children. I too, grew up in a bilingual home as a descendent and now am able to speak three languages myself. I have traveled to vast parts of the world and lived in many places in the United States of America. I learned the importance and value of preserving my culture and native tongue. To pass this on to my child is invaluable. How few Americans are aware of this time in world history is amazing to me. My husband has traveled the world at least three times and has interfaced with many international governments and peoples of the world. In fact, he grew up to be taught to finish his meals in remembrance of the survivors of my culture as a child, never knowing what that truly meant. Do I want these pieces of education to understand cultures to be eliminated from my child’s education? Absolutely not! In just about every company that I have worked for with the exception of this region, specifically the Piedmont region, to be clear, I have had to undergo formal cultural literacy training in my line of work. I once brought this up with the diversity team at the local university in the area where I was working, and this was quickly shot down. However, my expressions and how I presented myself were not perceived for my culture of origin that has hugely impacted who I am today. I want my child to not only experience cultural pride, but to become an inquiring mind as a compassionate, lifelong learner, who seeks to understand her neighbor as herself with the unique differences that make this world the diversified place that it is, learn new languages, engage in new cultures, and become a well educated, global citizen.

30. Carrie Wigal Post author

Here’s an interesting quote I received in my email this morning from the Patriot Post. I thought it pertained to this discussion quite nicely.

“Without wishing to damp the ardor of curiosity or influence the
    freedom of inquiry, I will hazard a prediction that, after the
    most industrious and impartial researchers, the longest liver
    of you all will find no principles, institutions or systems of
    education more fit in general to be transmitted to your posterity
    than those you have received from your ancestors.”

— John Adams (letter to the young men of the Philadelphia,
    7 May 1798)

Reference: The Works of John Adams, C.F. Adams, ed., vol. 9 (188)

31. Doug Johnson

Understanding the Holocaust
    by Douglas R. Johnson
    July 23, 2008

Some use the term, “holocaust”, for other than the German attempt to destroy the Jews as Hitler’s final solution.

I dare say, if even one member of one’s own family is killed and mutilated, it is a personal “holocaust”. But using the term in such a way profanes to meaning of the word and does disrespect to those who suffered in the 1940’s.

But the proponents of globalization and the UN’s IB curriculum seem to be saying that all the world’s ills can be corrected through understanding, seeing the other side as those see it.

So how about understanding what Hitler was doing? How about seeing it from their point of view?

Well there are plenty of people out there that still share those anti-Jew sentiments. They will kill a Jew as readily as look at one.

Are you ready to “walk a mile in Hitler’s shoes”? Do you want your kids to be taught the “good things” about Hitler and his regime?

We were established as a Christian nation. History proves that. It is a fact. Just look at the inscriptions on our buildings in Washington, DC.

Christianity in America provides freedom for other religions unlike any other country in the world. We defend the rights of others throughout the world unlike any other country. It is our Christian heritage that does that.

Certainly there are blemishes. But we saved the world from Hitler. It was no other country. Had we not entered WW2, Hitler would have conquered all of Europe and eventually Russia.

To down play Christianity and America by emphasizing “understanding” other cultures will take us down the path of the rest of the world.

From a Christian perspective, hatred of Jews is demonic. Spiritual forces controlled Hitler. He gave himself to these forces and sought spiritual strength through the occult.

I tell my children not to associate with certain “friends”. This is not based on race nor even religion. It is based on behavior.

I am not interested in “understanding”. I am interested in “training in the way they should go”.

If you want to educate your children to understand the “monsters” of the world, you still can do that in the privacy of your home. But I do not want you pushing that “understanding” on my children nor on society through public education.

32. Concerned Mother

Doug:

33. NH

To Concerned Mother:

The UN is attempting to run our schools under the guise of teaching ‘peace’. How is this any more righteous than when they invade a country to enFORCE their peace agenda with war, and I emphasize the word FORCE?

I do NOT want them enforcing their agenda, which makes them a defacto government, on our children in the public schools. I pay lots of tax dollars. The curriculum should be controlled locally.

I think we have a hard enough time from a practical standpoint, (after all I taught for 35 years) teaching kids to just be good citizens of their classrooms, their town and state, let alone ‘global citizens’.

And finally, telling someone they need to learn to be ‘global citizens’ is the equivalent of asking them to recognize the UN as their government. We are global inhabitants, but we in the USA are NOT ‘global citizens’. We are citizens of the USA, period. If we can teach that, then along with the constitution comes the idea of non-intervention and therefore PEACE. (See Congressman Ron Paul)

Now having said that, Doug is right…. in this ‘global education’ nonsense, governments are just a mere ‘construct’ of the times, and one is not taught to be better than another. Kids will not learn that Hitler and communism are bad, and in fact, the whole UN agenda is pure global Marxism and teaches that capitalism, the system upon which our successful country was built, is bad..

(See Obama’s Global Poverty Act that is about to come up for vote in the Senate whereby he wants to send $850BILLION to foreign countries)

I grew up learning languages and about other cultures. We did not need the interference of the UN in our public schools to accomplish that.

I’ll bet Carrie never imagined her post about IB would bring in this many comments and thougtful posters, but I think some of you have been fooled into thinking that you must accept the UN to be ‘nice’ people.

I assure you, you don’t have to overthrow our Bill of Rights in order to be a peaceful people. IN fact, it is the UN who causes many wars. Are we not in Iraq because someone did not comply with UN rules and regulations?

The UN should be disbanded. They used to be a place to talk diplomacy and avoid war, but now they want to be in control of everything; even your family and children and your ‘very happiness’ as one of their speechifiers once said.

One only need to look at the vast amount of plans, resolutions, treaties and other agendas on their website to understand how they are slowly overtaking us in the US, our land, our property and our money and our rights.

Please do not let this happen. I will fight to the death!

34. Doug Johnson

The role of the UN, when we as USA joined it, was to talk not teach.

The idea was that countries should talk in an open forum.

We did not sign on to be taught by the UN. To have our children taught by the UN is so foreign to us USA citizens we would never have joined.

We have the model to teach the world; not be taught by them.

35. Concerned Mother

36. C.Lee

Bravo Elizabeth- I agree with almost all of what you said and I am happy to see that you know what I am talking about. You actually agree with me. My original post’s point was that we should learn the morals and religion from home (and church too, although I did not say that in my first post.
    Again though, I don’t think that Christian or family morals are likely to succumb to what SOME public school teachers may attempt to teach them. That thought is ancient as well (See letters of Cicero{I think} wherein he decries the youth of his day, says that the schools are failing them and that parents aren’t teaching morals. Our school systems stink. They do not prepare students to compete in a global economy relative to many other industrialized nations. You can call the study of that – and of other cultures – globalism, but it just happens to be a fact. I would much prefer to be Amish and have no internet, no 24 hour news cycle, etc, but again that isn’t reality. I lived in the Middle East for a short period of time and that culture has some values that we in America would find enlightening – shouldn’t we be able to offer that to our kids?

37. NH

I really take offense to this post below. I am well educated and speak 3 languages. I did not need the UN for that and I am not ‘right wing’ or any wing. I just feel that politics has NO place in the schools. I guess so long as it’s left wing it’s OK? The stated goal of ‘peace’ education and extreme environmentalism is political control. Why should the children become political pawns? They are captive audience, forced to attend, and not everyone has the means to keep them out and homeschool them. Every teacher who has ever monitored a playground teaches ‘peace’ I can assure you of that.

The study of other cultures is not ‘globalism’. Globalism is a political system, whereby there is one central authority — in this case the UN — that would supercede our American form of government. It has NOT a thing to do with studying other cultures, but you see therein lies the deception that so many parents are swallowing.

Concerned said:
    “Yes – How dare they try and teach “peace”? That would be terrible. Let’s teach them all about…nothing that contradicts any right-wing fanatic…THAT is teaching them to think. Oh I forgot, you already said that catch-phrases like CRITICAL THINKING were abhorrent for our children. Ah’ma jus goin’ to git me some sassafras and sticks it in my mouth and ponder yo thoughts.”

38. NH

By the way, one of the main reasons “They do not prepare students to compete in a global economy relative to many other industrialized nations” is because they are too busy making political activists and enviro-extremists out of them.

They are too busy teaching them political attitudes and not the skills they need to compete in any marketplace. It’s all by design.

39. ty

I have a better idea.

How about using the school to focus on the basics and kick out a winning percentage of students that can actually read, write and multiply? American civics and American History would be greatly appreciated. Free thinking would perhaps be too much to ask as that would stand in the way of global indoctrination. The best answer to the Marxist IB agenda is a proudly and decidedly American citizen that is free to think and understand American history and patriotic duty. Let’s really go out on a limb and embrace the traditional Judeo-Christian values and constitutional liberties established by our founding fathers. A nation of these super-citizens could perhaps perceive freedom and perpetuate a country that would bestow God-given blessings even on those who do not acknowledge their own Creator.

Home schoolers, teach the children well.

Public schoolers, just keep dumbing them down and make sure to leave no child behind. What is the use of academic fundamentals anyway?

40. Elizabeth

The study of other cultures is not what I consider “globalism”. One can learn about other cultures and customs in a world history and a geography class. Evidently our students need it (the geography)when they cannot locate specific places on a map, even in their own country. As far as competing in a global economy, well, that is another post for another day. That has too many factors to mention at this time. We would probably have an in-depth look at NAFTA, the UN policies, societal factors, economic factors, etc. You get my drift. The point, that NH stated very well, is our tax dollars should support local curriculums and this curriculum is political propaganda. I don’t like the fact that a curriculum from Geneva is being implemented in our schools and is being subtly pushed by the UN. Why should America have to answer to the UN? Please don’t take this as “American arrogance”, but we are a sovereign nation that was founded on Christian principles no matter how many people choose to rewrite that fact. It is no secret that other countries despise that. Yet, so many people come here because we offer them hope and the chance of a better life. We have so many freedoms and rights (inalienable rights endowed by our Creator) that other countries fail to offer. Why do I or my children need to please the UN? Do you realize that the UN’s “Rights of a Child” proposal would dictate to you internationally how you could or couldn’t raise your child? Doesn’t anyone realize that if you raise your children to be decent and kind human beings, they will be kind and decent to others no matter the nationality or culture? It takes a parent to teach that, not the UN.

41. Elizabeth

Concerned Mom,
    I find your last sentence to be hypocritical of your stance. You have employed a hateful ethnic speech stereotype after your diatribe of how your grandparents endured a “holocaust” and how we must learn about understanding cultures. That was rather unnecessary.

42. ty

By the way….

Is the term “right-wing fanatic” taught in the all accepting IB curriculum? If so, I would add the term “right-wing know-it-all”. That is a good term to use right before stomping out of the room in disgust.

There is a problem here in that the smoke, mirrors and diversionary tactics do not work. The IB agenda is seen in the true light of what it is. I am sure that we will hear from the “human shield” that no one would dare question. Or perhaps, we will simply hear silence.

I have roots in the Native American culture and would love for the truth to be taught in school. A truth of genocide shrouded in the fog of history written by the victor. Will IB teach this? Hardly. Am I a human shield of a spokesperson? Certainly not. I need not resort to such desperate tactics. Facts suit me just fine.

“Concerned Mom” and “Concerned Mother”, how many kids do you have in the system and what are your legitimate concerns? Are you truly concerned with radical citizens such as we that are opposed to UN indoctrination known as IB curriculum?

I notice that many here do not hide behind some alias chosen for maximum bias. For you, I prefer the moniker “IB Apologist.”

43. C.Lee

Hi NH – I got bored so I finally read your post. The definition of “ascribe” is “to assign to a supposed cause, to attribute, to impute” while the definition of “subscribe” is “to endorse, to donate, to contribute, to pledge, to approve.” I can break down the Latin roots for you if you’d like. I think your attempt to correct English on a blog is petty, but it makes my point. One can be wrong and shout it from the rooftops in full confidence for the world to see, never considering that he may actually be wrong. (By the way, two subjects combined by “and” require a plural verb – have, not has – unless they fall into the exception of traditional pairs, like “ham and eggs”.)

44. NH

In this sentence “In fact your arguments are sophomoric – the other phrases that you include with mine were never written by me, but I think it is cute that you subscribe them to me” the proper word to use clearly would have be ASCRIBE.

Subscribe usually refers to a tangible object. You would not say for example, “I susbcribe to that idea” but you would say “I subscribe to that magazine”. You would however say, “I ascribe to that idea” but not “I ascribe to that magazine”. Subscribe suggests that I am taking something on myself, not saying that ideas were believed by you. It doesn’t even sound correct to use the word subscribe.

And if you are referring to this sentence: “Moral relativism and constructivism has no place in education.” it is because I treated the two as connected and therefore as part of a whole philosophy and used the word ‘has’. Big deal.

45. Doug Johnson

Comment 34 from Concerned Mother on July 23rd, 2008 at 10:14 am wrote specificly to me:

“Doug:

“My family was not part of the holocaust of the 1940’s. My culture endured this years before this. I am not of Jewish ethnicity. This is exactly what I am talking about. Your use of terms and words are a bit strong. Thanks for trying to understand.”

I therefore answer her:

“Concerned Mother:

“So just what was this holocaust your family endured years before the 1940’s that you compare to Hitler’s ‘final solution’?

“Is there, in fact, some event that will now be reversed or become a “never again” event with the ‘understanding’ being taught by the UN with its IB indoctrination plan?”

“Was it Christians being eaten alive by lions in the arena? Was is Jewish children being skinned alive in front of their mother? Or was it someone being burned alive at the stake?”

And to all I say:

“Our Christian soldiers were not permitted to express their Christianity in Moslem countries yet these countries are fully represented in the UN. How will our understanding of them help maintain our Constitutional right to the free expression of our Christian religion?”

Doug Johnson
    Palmyra VA

46. NH

Doug – it was probably when some of your nasty ancestors came here and stole the land from the Mexicans or Native Americans. Am I correct?

I know this is being promoted as part of our ‘politically correct’ agenda in the schools… and thus giving power to those who think they have the right to take back the land along the border, even if it means killing the people who own the property there, people whose ancestors likely had nothing to do with things that happened in 1848.

My family’s only been here since 1930… so I had no part in owning slaves, killing Natives, or buying land from Mexico. (yes it was sold to us)

47. Concerned Mother

First and foremost, I want to make it known that I did not submit the last post and take offense that someone would make comments falsifying my identity. Next, I also want to clarify for you, Doug, that if you read more about Christianity, you will find the answers to the genocide that I am referring to. I also want to inform you that Christian soldiers in various parts of the world have been allowed to express their religions in varying ways and capacitieis based upon circumstances. If you have served in the military, as I have, you would have become educated about this in your training and lived experience.

48. NH

Well I wish someone would simply tell us what genocidal incident you were talking about… I know there are others besides the Holocaust — we have Cambodia for example, but if you are referring to biblical times I hardly think that is a reason to let the UN control our curriculum, which is what we are talking about here isn’t it?

I suggest the excellent Quist book review on We the People Civics Ed course being used everywhere if you want to further understand how education is being used to spread political ideas.

I am purchasing 50 copies and will give them to all my congressional candidates, school board members and others I think would benefit by a reading.

49. Carrie Wigal Post author

Comment #49 from Concerned Mother: “First and foremost, I want to make it known that I did not submit the last post and take offense that someone would make comments falsifying my identity.”

Which “last post” are you referring to?

50. Doug Johnson

How can someone falsify an alias? You won’t say who you are except a mother who served in the military that has a family history of some sort of holocaust caused by “Christianity”.

My real name is Doug Johnson and I live in Palmyra VA. My mother’s family is Welch and my father’s family is Norwegian.

The Norwegians suffered under the Germans during WW2 so I should hold that against present day Germans. My wife has some German ancestors so I should bring that up to her the next time we have a heated discussion. I’m sure that will help family relations.

Jesus said: “The thief cometh to kill and destroy, but I am come to give life and that more abundantly.”

Have you never heard of a wolf in sheep’s clothing? Someone claims to be Christian and then contradicts Jesus. So who is wrong; Jesus or that wolf in sheep’s clothing.

So who is this mysterious Concerned Mom? Is she “all moms”, “most moms”, “an average mom”, “the minority moms”, “all minority moms”, “a singular mom”, “a guy saying he is a mom”.

Are we to give more credence because “Concerned Mom” is “concerned”? How about because she is a “Mom”?

Or is it that her ancestors suffered by the hands of our ancestors?

Maybe it was very own Grandpa Johnson who did the deed to Grandpa “Concerned Mom”. Should I then change my position on the UN telling my grandchildren how to “understand” the monsters who brutalize other human beings.

Of course the biggest holocaust in the world today is the slaughter of babies still in their mothers wombs by “not so concerned moms”.

So to answer “Doug, that if you read more about Christianity, you will find the answers to the genocide that I am referring to”:

I still have no idea what you are talking about.

51. Concerned Mother

James Kraft, the cheese magnate, was a collector of jade.One
    > day he invited a friend to see his jade collection. At first
    > the man thought there was nothing unusual but dark rough cut
    > dull rocks.But Mr. Kraft turned off the lights and turned on
    > an ultraviolet light. The rocks turned into gems of
    > beauty.Everyone, to our Lord, “sees” only a soul
    > of beauty and light in the love of Christ. Matters not by
    > age, race, religion, or gender. Christ knew everyone as
    > equals at a time when prejudice ran rampant by gender,
    > class, and race 2000 years ago. Our physical bodies do not
    > make who we are, our hidden, invisible soul is the gem of
    > beauty and light.
    > Let Christ live in you, what do you have to lose by loving
    > him? Nothing, if you have a soul of light that death itself
    > cannot destroy.

I am done with the inflammatory and derogatory statements. I wish for you both to seek to understand with a capacity to accept others. Live and let live.

52. NH

I can accept the ideas of others even if they are abhorrent to me, but I am not really keen on subsidizing communism and collectivism and one-world government with my hard earned tax dollars, namely about $6K per year… and I think I have the right to say something about how they’re spent.

So the live and let live works both ways.

53. Ann

Wow, this string really fascinates me. I am studying various elementary schools to choice my children into and one with an IB program is a strong contender. I was looking for any negative opinions to help me think of various arguments. These posts and the arguments against an IB curriculum have driven TOWARD IB. Irrational fear of outsiders indoctrinating our children with a morality different than what we teach at home is very interesting, and reason for a rise in homeschooling in this country. I have enough faith in my family and church and community structure to believe that when my children inevitably encounter “difference” they will be inquisitive, they will come to me, I will honor their questions and we will together seek answers. I have enough faith in the value structure they are receiving that I am not afraid for them to question and know. I have faith in them as decent humans. To shelter them from what is “different” or outside my personal value structure is, in my opinion, to limit them as humans. I vote IB! And ultimately this blog helped me come to that decision!

54. NH

Well goody for you Ann. But I can’t be a part of a public education program that teaches kids to overthrow the constitution in favor of world government. It’s not right.

If you want them to believe in world government and redistribution of the wealth with the UN in charge, why not just move to European Union?

My conscience would not let me teach this stuff so after 35 years I quit.
    And I am not even coming at it from a biblical point of view but one of freedom.

When there is ‘one world’ there will BE no freedom as we know it.
    You should read Carroll Quigley’s books sometime, and get a clue.

55. C.Lee

Yes ANN – Only NH can have an opinion. That is the America that NH wants YOU and your children to live in. You can’t even express an opinion without NH’s particular form of derision being loaded on you.
    Why does anyone care that you taught for 35 years and then decided to quit? Does that somehow make your OPINION more valid than someone else’s? Let me answer that for you – NO, it doesn’t. You have an opinion like many leaders – POL POT, Hitler, Mussolini, Idi Amin…there are probably others. I think you should crawl back to your bomb shelter and cower in fear that there may be a culture that you would have to deal with…or maybe there is a burning cross and platform somewhere in the woods where you can deride anyone whose opinion differs from yours. I am SO glad you are not teaching. Your brand of veiled racism has no place in America. Move to Cuba, where tyou can hang with like minded individuals.

56. NH

What a shame your post had to stoop to invectives.

In fact, it’s that very type type I worry about taking over our schools, forcing people to do things they know are wrong, discriminating, and imposing the one-world view upon us, not the people protesting this nonsense such as myself. Not to mention the bogus teaching methods that are dumbing down!

A study just came out that tells how cooperative learning has inflated grades and harms the children’s chances in college. Is that what you want? Or do you want a teacher who is honest about what methods really work and benefit the kids the most? Don’t you know it’s the little minority kids like the ones I taught who are harmed the most from this stuff?

The stuff you suggest is very out of line and shows you have no idea what it is that anyone is objecting to. As a 35 year teacher I at least know what it is that it being objected to and it has nothing to do with what you are saying.

Pulling out the race card not only is totally off topic but it’s old and worn and won’t work anymore and has nothing to do with this discussion. Losing our sovereignty, such as what is happening right now with the banking crisis where they are calling for one currency and world order, is not a laughing matter and has nothing to do with ‘race’.

Your comments show a deep lack of understanding of this issue and what kind of America some would want YOU and your children to live in, to which I ALSO object.

You don’t even have the smarts to know when someone is on your side.

57. LOTHELENA

As far as I am aware IB is a well established, academically rigorous program which is used all over Europe. My knowledge of it has been at the high school level and honestly, what was quoted in the original post sounds like fashionable hype to me. Your kids will be taught the current popular brand of “tolerance” etc with or without this program, and I feel like it is our responsibility as parents to help them think through other world views and learn to survive spiritually in the world we live in. Our 8 yr old son is currently in a religious education program in school (we don’t live in the US) for a religion we do not adhere to (though we have strong spiritual views). Does this harm him? No, we talk about what he’s learning, answer his questions from a biblical perspective and trust that he is learning to evaluate what he hears and form his views, we hope in accordance with the teachings of the Bible.

This is my first visit to this site and I’m wondering if all the threads on this blog are so venomous. Does anyone else find this disturbing?