On Friday last week, the US House of Representatives held their last session before Speaker Nancy Pelosi broke for a 5-week summer break without allowing an up or down vote on our Energy Crisis. At that time several Republican House Members revolted. They led a “call” to the Speaker to have the House return to session so that a vote may be taken by House members on The American Energy Act (H.R. 6566): Reducing the Price at the Pump through an â€œAll of the Aboveâ€ Energy Strategy.
Monday I received an email indicating the GOP Revolt was still “in session”. I called my Congressman, Virgil Goode to see if he was in attendance of the revolt. I was told he was not in DC that day but he voted against adjourning on Friday without an up or down vote on the energy bill.
Even though I heard House Republicans intended on staying the course and continuing to hold these unofficial sessions until Speaker Pelosi or the President calls the House back to vote on this issue, I wondered if it would continue in earnest.
I just checked this evening and this is what I’ve found:
- Past-Speaker Newt Gingrich came to Washington DC to show his support of the House Republicans stance. Watch this video.
- Minority House Leader John Boehner issued a memo about an hour ago, August 6th to all House Republicans entitled “The Energy Call to Arms Continues” requesting GOP members to contact the Whip’s office and indicate a time that they may be able to return to Washington DC sometime over the course of the next two weeks (August 11-22).
- The GOP House Leader is liveblogging about this “House Republican Uprising” on a daily basis giving an attendance record for those in attendance and speaking each day along with several quotes from the various members.
- The GOP Leader is also providing daily updates on Twitter for those who wish to follow what’s happening.
So, here, here to the Republicans in Congress for stepping up to the plate and sticking with it!
What can you do to join this protest?
- Sign this petition joining the 1.4+ million Americans who have already signed (including myself). It states, “We, therefore, the undersigned citizens of the United States, petition the U.S. Congress to act immediately to lower gasoline prices (and diesel and other fuel prices)* by authorizing the exploration of proven energy reserves to reduce our dependence on foreign energy sources from unstable countries.”
- Contact your Congressman and Nancy Pelosi and say: “Bring Congress Back for a real vote on lifting the oil drilling ban and breaking our foreign energy dependence.” Speaker Pelosi: 202-225-0100; 202-225-4965; Switchboard: 202-224-3121
- Tell your friends, family, coworkers, neighbors and anyone else who will listen about this and have them do these three things as well.
While this House Revolt is being led by the Republicans, this is not a “Republican” fight…it is a fight for Americans. The majority of Americans (71%) favor increasing the energy supplies of the United States and lowering the costs of gasoline and electricity.
Still unsure about all this hoopla? Read the bill yourself, and let your Congressman know where you stand on the issue. I can tell you, I know where my Congressman stands on it.
US Congressman of the Fifth District in Virginia, Virgil Goode states on his website,
“I believe that reasonable energy costs are crucial to a viable economy. We must be allowed to drill for oil in Alaska and develop sources of energy in this country. We must continue efforts to promote alternatives such as switchgrass, canola, and hybrid poplars. We must preserve jobs in America for Americans. We need even more job training and additional job opportunities, and we must continue our fight against trade legislation and agreements that shift manufacturing jobs to third world countries.” SOURCE: http://www.VirgilGoode.com/
Let yours know where you stand.